Music About Town | Cafe Lounge, Surry Hills


Recently I was asked by Contiki to tell ALL the travellers of the world about the best places to find live music in Sydney. I figured this was obviously because 1. I'm the only person ever who could possibly tell the world this and 2. The people of the world were clearly screaming for me to tell them where they should be hanging out. So I'm going with that.

When I first moved here, the top 3 things to know in my New-to-Sydney survival guide were: 

    • The live music scene is eclectic, buzzing and fresh and you'll find it in the most unexpected places
    • Those places are usually down side alleys and through back doors
    • And if you're not there yet, you'll probably end up in Surry Hills

So, I thought I'd start a little series on music venues worth visiting if you're in this fine city, starting with one of my faves, the Cafe Lounge (because I like playing gigs there and because I'm in the picture and and because the pizzas are ridic!)...


CAFÉ LOUNGE
277 Goulburn Street, Surry Hills 

As one of Sydney's pioneer small bars, the Café Lounge has been going strong for well over 10 years, and it just keeps getting better. Known for its regular comedy nights and good cheap food (think $3 pizza nights!), you'll want to get there early to get a spot, because once you come in you won't want to leave. 

Like a little bohemian cave tucked into a side street of Surry Hills, Café Lounge is an explosion of abstract ideas mashed together that somehow makes you feel at home. It's dingy, but in a welcoming way that feels like you're in a secret place only the real artisans know about; which could be why there's always a stream of international touring acts playing intimate little sets to those who have wandered into the right place at the right time...And if you whisper the secret pass phrase to the door person on comedy night, you'll get cheap drinks - ha! 

SEE THE FULL FEATURE FOR CONTIKI HERE






0 peeps said something:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - follow me on twitter & instagram for stuff on the go - I'm under @MorganJoanel x